INDEPENDENCE HOUSE, INC.
COMPREHENSIVE DIRECT SERVICES ADULT/CHILDREN ADVOCATE
Hours: 35 Hours/Week
Salary: To be negotiated, highly competitive
Benefits: Health, Dental, Vacation, Sick & 403(b)
Independence House, Inc. (IH) is a comprehensive domestic & sexual violence community-based agency and shelter program in Barnstable County that focuses on meeting the unique and cultural needs of survivors and their children. We provide safety, food, shelter, advocacy, counseling, and other resources to assist survivors in rebuilding violence-free lives for themselves and their children. IH is committed to the values of inclusivity, equality, anti-oppression, non-hierarchical structure, a non-judgmental and empowerment framework. IH works closely with other agencies in the community, to provide a comprehensive network of resources for survivors of domestic and sexual violence and their children. IH works with these agencies and other community groups to provide education, prevention and training about domestic & sexual violence toward community transformation and change. Please see our website at www.independencehouse.org for more information.
The Comprehensive Direct Services Advocate provides comprehensive high-quality services for survivors of domestic and sexual violence, survivors of homicide victims, children who witness violence, and secondary survivors/non-offending family/friends. These services include and are not limited to intake and assessment, individual counseling, advocacy and group counseling.
RESPONSIBILITIES / SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES
- Provide comprehensive high-quality intake and assessment for adult DV & SA survivors and children who witness violence.
- Provide individual counseling to adult & child victims and witnesses at Independence House.
- Maintain a caseload to meet needs of clients.
- Attend and participate in mandatory team meetings and group clinical supervision.
- Provide MPA support as needed during the workday, and some nights weekends or holidays.
- Assist with hotline coverage when needed at IH emergency DV shelter or provide backup coverage if needed.
- Must work evenings, nights or weekends when necessary to meet program needs
- Responsible for maintaining active communication and linkages with public and private schools, service agencies, police & fire departments, EMTs and town agencies and all systems as appropriate.
- Accept referrals from other agencies.
- Develop and maintain relationships with other service providers serving children & adults.
- Interface with community.
- Comply with contract reporting requirements.
- Regular and timely reporting activities.
- Complete all necessary paperwork on time.
- Take proper care of client records which includes up-to-date documentation while open and the proper closing of cases, including filing in the agency vault archives
- Attend Independence House staff meetings and in-services
- Attend community round tables and task forces as requested by supervisor
- Provide services at other Independence House locations when the need exists.
- Other duties as appropriate and related to the position
- Candidate must have a MSW or equivalent with a minimum of one year experience working with issues of trauma, domestic violence and sexual assault clients, adults and children. Candidates with Bachelor’s degree and sufficient relevant experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of domestic and sexual violence as they relate to adults & children
- Strong counselling & technological skills
- Strong group work skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with others via oral and written word
- Strong counseling foundation and understanding of ethical standards
- Ability to function as part of a team
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with adults & children, other Independence House staff, the public, and funders
- Strong commitment to victims/survivors
- Knowledge of policy & practice issues regarding domestic and sexual violence
- Conflict resolution skills
- Confidence and ability to work with diverse clients and staff
- Public speaking skills to inform public of services
- Ability to work in a busy environment.
- Committed to cultural competency and embody the mission and values of Independence House.
- Demonstrated team spirit and commitment to team work and an anti-oppression framework.
- Proficient with computers and social media.
- Bi-Lingual or Tri-Lingual a plus
- Completion of the IH Domestic & Sexual Violence training
- Satisfactory Criminal Background Check
- Must possess a valid MA driver’s license and proof of vehicle insurance, and have access to a vehicle during work hours
- Must obtain or maintain account with a financial institution for direct deposit of paychecks
To Be Considered: Please send a resume and a cover letter to: email@example.com