A homicide survivor is a person who is affected by the homicide of a family member, close friend, neighbor, schoolmate, or member of the community.
This Program recognizes the traumatic impact of homicide on individuals and families and we help survivors to find a path to coping with their pain and eventually rebuild and find a ‘new normal.’
Independence House offers survivor services to individuals and families affected by a homicide including vehicular homicide.
- Supportive crisis counseling
- Individual counseling
- Support groups
- Legal and criminal justice system support
- Support and accompaniment with funeral arrangements
- Advocacy Information and referral
Independence House services help homicide survivors heal from their loss by:
- Assisting and empowering survivors to return to healthy patterns of thinking, feeling and acting.
- Helping survivors redefine their sense of self by adopting healthy lifestyle changes.
- Increasing awareness of services available to assist in alleviating the impact of the trauma.
- Assist with obtaining victim’s compensation
All services are free and confidential and offered to individuals in Barnstable County at Independence House office locations as well as other safe locations.
Independence House operates offices in Hyannis, Falmouth, Orleans and Provincetown.
To schedule an appointment or talk to a specialized homicide survivor counselor, call Independence House at 1.508.771.6507.