Volunteers are vital to the continued growth and success of Independence House in meeting the needs of our community.
Independence House volunteers represent diverse backgrounds, educational levels and interests but all have two things in common: sensitivity to the individuals we serve and a commitment to end domestic and sexual violence.
Volunteering at Independence House offers individuals the opportunity to use their unique skills and abilities to help Independence House provide free and confidential comprehensive programs and services to the Cape Cod community.
Some examples of roles our volunteers play at Independence House are as follow:
- Hotline: Respond to domestic or sexual violence crisis calls, provide support and resources to callers.
- Safe Home: Provide temporary lodging for families or individuals. All locations are confidential (Safe Homes must be preapproved).
- Court Advocacy (SAFEPLAN): Help court advocates assist clients with restraining order (209A) applications, harassment prevention (258E) applications and provide support for clients.
- Child Care: Supervise and engage children in activities while their parents attend individual or group counseling.
- Transportation: Arrange for transportation to court or other community agencies.
- Prevention, Education & Outreach: Present to civic, church, youth and professional groups about domestic and sexual violence and Independence House services.
- Office Assistance: Answer phones, greet visitors and clients, file paperwork.
- Events: Be part of an event committee for Independence House fundraisers and awareness events..
We encourage volunteers to use their unique skills, education, and personal interests to suggest ways they feel we can benefit from their services. If you feel you can help in a way not listed here, please give us a call. We need your support.
Ready to get started volunteering?
Complete an online application by clicking Volunteer Application. Download the application and save to your computer. Please fill out the questions in each field and “Save-AS” to a new file on your computer in order to save the information you provided in each of the fields.
You may email, post mail, or fax the completed volunteer application to:
Attn: Volunteer Coordinator
160 Bassett Lane
Hyannis, MA 02601
Prospective volunteers will be asked to appear for an interview, provide letters of recommendation, and complete a CORI check. Independence House volunteers are also required to complete a 45 hour training program.
For more information about volunteering please contact Donna at: Donnag@indhouse.net, 508-771-6507 x221.