Independence House, Inc.
Current Position Openings:
Orleans SAFEPLAN Court Advocate
Hours: 19.75 Hours/Week
Salary: Highly competitive
Benefits: Holiday, Vacation, Sick & 403(b)
Independence House, Inc. (IH) is a comprehensive domestic & sexual violence community based agency and shelter program in Barnstable County that focuses on meeting unique and cultural needs of survivors and their children. We provide safety, food, shelter, advocacy, counseling and other resources to assist survivors in rebuilding violence-free lives for themselves and their children. IH is committed to the values of inclusivity, equality, anti-oppression, non-hierarchical structure, a non-judgmental and empowerment framework. IH works closely with other agencies in the community, to provide a comprehensive network of resources for survivors of domestic and sexual violence and their children. IH works with these agencies and other community groups to provide education, prevention and training about domestic & sexual violence toward community transformation and change. Please see our website at www.independencehouse.org for more information.
SAFEPLAN (Safety Assistance for Every Person Leaving Abuse Now) advocates provide comprehensive, direct services to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking who come to court seeking protection from abuse through the civil 209A Restraining Order and 258E Harassment Prevention Order processes.
Under the supervision of the Senior SAFEPLAN Advocate, the SAFEPLAN Advocate’s responsibilities include the following:
- Participate in and complete the Independence House 50-hour staff/volunteer training
- Attend the SAFEPLAN training and complete the certification process
- Explain legal rights and options and the processes involved in obtaining and maintaining MGL c. 209A protective orders and 258E harassment prevention orders
- Assist victims in completing court required 209A and 258E forms
- Accompany and advocate for victims in court during civil proceedings
- Develop, in partnership with victims of DV, SA and stalking, personalized safety plans
- Make referrals to and work collaboratively with MOVA, IH and other social service agencies, court personnel, the DA’s office and other allied criminal justice agencies
- Report suspected incidents of abuse to the DCF, Elder Services and DPPC
- Screen victims for appropriateness and eligibility to receive SAFEPLAN services
- Assess clients needs, strengths, support systems and other resources
- Employ the empowerment model when informing victims of their rights and options
- Exercise empathetic and active listening skills
- Educate victims about the dynamics of domestic violence
- Maintain professional boundaries with victims receiving SAFEPLAN services
- Adhere to SAFEPLAN and IH confidentiality policies
- Complete and submit all paperwork in a timely and accurate manner
- Participate in supervision, meetings and in-services at IH
- Attend SAFEPLAN quarterly, regional meetings and trainings relevant to the position
- Work in accordance with the IH and SAFEPLAN Policies and Procedures Manuals
- Perform any other duties requested by the Senior SAFEPLAN Advocate
- Knowledge of dynamics of domestic violence and legal issues affecting victims
- Bachelor’s degree preferred (may be waived for comparable work or life experience)
- Sensitivity to diversity issues
- Capacity to establish professional and collaborative working relationships
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Some travel is required; valid MA driver’s license and reliable transportation required
- Able to lift and transport up to twenty pounds of program materials/supplies
To Be Considered: Please send a resume and a cover letter to: Joaniew@indhouse.net
Please write “IH Application- [Your Last Name]” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please.
Independence House, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, or disability and denial of family medical leave and pregnancy leave. This search is being conducted by Independence House, Inc.
Director of Operations & Personnel
Independence House, Inc.
160 Bassett Lane