Independence House, Inc.
Independence House is currently seeking to fill the positions of:
Tri-Lingual DV & SA Prevention Advocate for Adult/Teen/Child
Independence House encourages applicants of diverse races, all abilities, sexual orientation, and genders to submit application
Hours: 35 Hours/Week
Salary: To be negotiated, highly competitive
Benefits: Health, Dental, Vacation, Sick, Short-Term Disability, Life & 403(b)
Independence House, Inc. (IH) is a comprehensive domestic & sexual violence community based agency and shelter program in Barnstable County that focuses on meeting the unique and cultural needs of survivors and their children. We provide safety, food, shelter, advocacy, counseling and other resources to assist survivors in rebuilding violence-free lives for themselves and their children. IH is committed to the values of inclusivity, equality, anti-oppression, non-hierarchical structure, a non-judgmental and empowerment framework. IH works closely with other agencies in the community, to provide a comprehensive network of resources for survivors of domestic and sexual violence and their children. IH works with these agencies and other community groups to provide education, prevention and training about domestic & sexual violence toward community transformation and change. Please see our website at www.independencehouse.org for more information.
The Comprehensive Direct Services and Prevention Advocate is responsible for providing a continuum of in-person direct & digital services to children, tweens/teens & adults who have experienced domestic and sexual violence including teen dating/acquaintance violence.
RESPONSIBILITIES / SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES
- Provide consistent/daily on-line availability for live chat with teen victims.
- Provide scheduled weekly group and individual counseling enhanced by digital outreach to teens & tweens served by Independence House
- Provide secure web based intake, referral and advocacy for tweens & teens served by Independence House.
- Develop and maintain relationships with other service providers for tweens & teens
- Engage in appropriate on-line chat responses with teens seeking resources and information.
- Communicate via email re: upcoming teen support groups.
- Provide secure email and/or text follow up to teens for non-emergency situations.
- Communicate non-confidential information with teens re: available service via social media, including Instagram, Tumblr and Facebook and other appropriate social media means.
- Respond to questions and posts on Independence House teen forum (to be developed).
- Provide safe and secure web based short-term counseling on our secure counseling platform.
- Outreach to school personnel & collaborate with Independence House prevention and outreach staff to inform teens about availability of digital teen services and other teen services.
- Ensure on-line services are provided solely to MA tweens and teens.
- Adhere to confidentiality issues at Independence House and discuss limitations and safety of digital services.
- Discuss on-line counseling confidentiality and take precautions to ensure confidentiality.
- Complete all necessary paperwork for Independence House and reporting for VOCA Grant.
- Accept referrals from other agencies.
- Inform community of tween/teen services.
- Provide individual and/or group counseling in person or via digital means.
- Provide comprehensive high quality intake and assessment for adult DV & SA survivors, teens and children who witness violence.
- Provide individual counseling to adult & child victims and witnesses at Independence House.
- Provide intake, referral and advocacy for children.
- Develop and maintain relationships with other service providers serving children/teens/adults.
- Plan, develop, and facilitate groups for children & adults who witness domestic violence.
- Interface with community.
- Comply with contract reporting requirements.
- Maintain a caseload to meet needs of clients.
- Conduct MVP activities with partner schools.
- Conduct primary prevention, outreach and education activities to meet needs of selected communities as per Independence House priorities.
- Must work evenings, nights or weekends when necessary to meet program needs.
- Responsible for maintaining active communication and linkages with public and private schools, service agencies, police & fire departments, EMTs and town agencies and all systems as appropriate.
- Conducts presentations to agencies, schools, and the community about topics related to rape, domestic and sexual violence, teen violence and child witness to violence.
- Responsible for providing prevention outreaches to new unchartered areas and communities.
- Regular and timely reporting: activities.
- Other direct service duties as appropriate and related to the position.
- Complete all necessary paperwork.
- Other duties as appropriate and assigned.
- Tri-Lingual, able to speak Brazilian/Portuguese, Spanish and English.
- Knowledge of domestic and sexual violence as they relate to adults, children, tweens & teens especially in relation to digitally accessed services
- Strong counselling & technological skills (use of internet, social media frequented by tweens/teens)
- Strong group work skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with others via oral and written word and though digital means
- Strong counseling foundation and understanding of ethical standards
- Deep knowledge of digital safety precautions sand awareness of related resources for digital safety
- Ability to function as part of a team
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with adults, tweens & teens, other Independence House staff, the public, and funders
- Strong commitment to victims/survivors especially teens
- Knowledge of policy & practice issues regarding domestic and sexual violence
- Conflict resolution skills
- Confidence and ability to work with diverse clients and staff
- Excellent proficiency with using the web; smart phone applications and texting
- Public speaking skills to inform public of services
- Ability to work in a busy environment.
- Committed to cultural competency and embody the mission and values of Independence House.
- Demonstrated team spirit and commitment to team work and an anti-oppression framework.
- Proficient with computers and social media.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Candidate must have a MSW or equivalent with a minimum of one year experience working with issues of trauma, preferably with teens, domestic violence and sexual assault clients.
- Knowledge of child development, teen issues and effects of domestic and sexual violence. Candidates with Bachelor’s degree and sufficient relevant experience may be considered. Proficiency with all forms of technology including smart phone, video, chat, email and social media sites.
- Completion of the IH Domestic & Sexual Violence training
- Satisfactory Criminal Background Check
- Must possess a valid MA driver’s license and proof of vehicle insurance, and have access to a vehicle during work hours
- Must obtain or maintain account with a financial institution for direct deposit of paychecks
Independence House, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, or disability and denial of family medical leave and pregnancy leave. This search is being conducted by Independence House, Inc.