Independence House, Inc.
Tri-Lingual Domestic & Sexual Violence Counselor/Advocate
This position is based in the Hyannis Office.
Hours: 35 Hours/Week
Salary: To be negotiated, highly competitive
Benefits: Health, Dental, Vacation, Sick, Short-Term Disability, Life & 403(b)
The Tri-Lingual Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Counselor/Advocate will provide a range of confidential services to survivors of domestic & sexual violence, non-offending family members and friends, including individual and group counseling and crisis response. Provide counseling and advocacy to Spanish/Portuguese-speaking survivors on Cape Cod. He/she will assist with unmet needs in this community. This position requires flexible hours (some evenings and weekends), a valid MA driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Provide individual counseling to survivors of domestic & sexual violence and their non-offending family members or friends
- Assist in co-facilitation for support groups serving the needs of survivors
- Participate in outreach events to communities served in partnership with other IH staff
- Translate materials from English to Spanish/Portuguese consistently updating resources for the community.
- Collaborate with other community organizations that serve the Latina population
- Follow-up with potential survivors and/or provide referrals, counselling, and support.
- Provide client intakes as scheduled and as needed on an emergency basis including safe home intakes for all domestic & sexual violence clients.
- Be available for the rotation of hotline coverage.
- Travel to site offices as needed
- Travel as needed throughout Cape Cod and at other work required locations
- Keep accurate documentation of all client services and collateral services, including maintenance of all client files and statistics.
- Attend Independence House staff, supervision and team meetings.
- Submit monthly and quarterly statistics in a timely manner.
- Work within the agency’s philosophy, policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties and tasks as required.
- Bachelors or Masters Degree ((Preferred) in Counseling/Social Work or related discipline.
- Must have reliable transportation and driver’s license.
- Proficient in Brazilian Portuguese, English; proficiency in Spanish is desirable
- Experience in counseling victims/survivors of domestic and sexual violence, and understanding of issues pertaining to trauma, rape, sexual assault, incest, and domestic violence
- Good organizational skills, ability to work autonomously, yet maintain cooperative involvement with team.
- Group work experience preferred; but will train.
- Experience and/or comfort with public speaking and community outreach
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Completion of the IH Domestic & Sexual Violence training
- Satisfactory Criminal Background check
- Must obtain or maintain account with a financial institution for direct deposit of paychecks.
- Working knowledge of community resources including housing programs.
To Be Considered: Please send a resume and a cover letter to: BeckyH@indhouse.net
Please write “IH Application- [Your Last Name]” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please.
Independence House, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, or disability and denial of family medical leave and pregnancy leave. This search is being conducted by Independence House, Inc.