INDEPENDENCE HOUSE, INC.
HUMAN RESOURCE/PAYROLL/ADMIN ASSISTANT
Independence House encourages applicants of diverse races, all abilities, identity, sexual orientation, and genders to submit application.
Hours: 15 Hours/Week
Salary: To be negotiated, competitive
Benefits: Holiday, Vacation, Sick & 403(b)
Independence House, Inc. (IH) provides comprehensive domestic & sexual violence community-based agency and shelter programs in Barnstable County that focuses on meeting unique and cultural needs of survivors and their children. We provide safety, food, shelter, advocacy, counseling and other resources to assist survivors in rebuilding violence-free lives for themselves and their children. IH is committed to the values of inclusivity, equality, anti-oppression, non-hierarchical structure, a non-judgmental and empowerment framework. IH works closely with other agencies in the community, to provide a comprehensive network of resources for survivors of domestic and sexual violence and their children. IH works with these agencies and other community groups to provide education, prevention and training about domestic & sexual violence toward community transformation and change. Please see our website at www.independencehouse.org for more information.
The Assistant to Administration will perform administrative tasks and services to support effective and efficient operations of the organization’s human resource department.
RESPONSIBILITIES / SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date human resource files, records, and documentation.
- Answers frequently asked questions from applicants and employees relative to standard policies, benefits, hiring processes, etc.; refers more complex questions to appropriate senior level HR staff or management.
- Maintains the integrity and confidentiality of human resource files and records.
- Performs periodic audits of HR files and records to ensure that all required documents are collected and filed appropriately.
- Provides clerical support to the HR department.
- Provides clerical support to Administration.
- May assist with payroll functions including processing, answering employee questions, fixing processing errors.
- Acts as a liaison between the organization and external benefits providers and vendors, which may include health, disability, and retirement plan providers.
- Assists with planning and execution of special events such as benefits enrollment, organization-wide meetings, employee recognition events, holiday parties.
- Posts open positions and initially screens applicants.
- Enter and update new employees into the payroll
- Perform payroll functions such as timekeeping and vacation days and submit to payroll.
- Assist with the payroll process, timesheets input and personal time off.
- Prepare and input biweekly payroll information using payroll software ensuring information is received and transmitted accurately.
- Process employee terminations including final pay calculations, vacation payroll payment, deductions, and ensure payment meets state final pay requirements.
- Maintain accurate record in payroll portal.
- Process employee recognition awards and termination packages.
- Prepare miscellaneous financial and operational reports in payroll system upon request.
- Check worksheet for accuracy and enter into payroll portal.
- Simplify reports for time efficiency and important accuracy of reconciliations.
- Maintain accurate and timely staff timekeeping records in order to comply with labor laws and other legal employment requirements.
- Process correct garnishment calculations and compliance.
- Contribute to positive team culture.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Work requires the ability to ascend or descend stairs, as well as the agility to move about and position self efficiently to perform physical tasks and address emergency situations.
- May require sitting for long periods of time.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in human resources and administration
- Knowledge of Microsoft software
- Ability to work well with others.
- Computer proficiency
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills
- Strong work ethic
- Belief in the mission of Independence House
- Ability to maintain confidentiality & privacy of sensitive information
- Assertive communication skills
- Can Do attitude
- Consistent attendance
- Must be able to manage multiple projects/demands
- Must adhere to drama free zone and professional environment
- Manage conflicts appropriately
- Completion of the IH Domestic & Sexual Violence training – agency provided
- Satisfactory Criminal Background Check
- Must possess a valid MA driver’s license and proof of vehicle insurance, and have access to a vehicle during work hours
- Must obtain or maintain account with a financial institution for direct deposit of paychecks
To Be Considered: Please send a resume and a cover letter to: Beckyh@indhouse.net
Please write “IH Application- [Your Last Name]” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please.
Independence House, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, or disability and denial of family medical leave and pregnancy leave. This search is being conducted by Independence House, Inc.