INDEPENDENCE HOUSE, INC.
ASSISTANT TO ADMINISTRATION, FINANCE & OPERATIONS
Independence House encourages applicants of diverse races, all abilities, sexual orientation, and genders to submit application
Hours: 20 Hours/Week
Salary: To be negotiated, competitive
Benefits: Holiday, Vacation, Sick & 403(b)
Independence House, Inc. (IH) is a comprehensive domestic & sexual violence community based agency and shelter program in Barnstable County that focuses on meeting unique and cultural needs of survivors and their children. We provide safety, food, shelter, advocacy, counseling and other resources to assist survivors in rebuilding violence-free lives for themselves and their children. IH is committed to the values of inclusivity, equality, anti-oppression, non-hierarchical structure, a non-judgmental and empowerment framework. IH works closely with other agencies in the community, to provide a comprehensive network of resources for survivors of domestic and sexual violence and their children. IH works with these agencies and other community groups to provide education, prevention and training about domestic & sexual violence toward community transformation and change. Please see our website at www.independencehouse.org for more information.
The Assistant to Administration, Finance & Operations is responsible for the daily tasks related to the operation of the Human Resources, Finance & Operations departments.
RESPONSIBILITIES / SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES
- Prepare and post employment advertisements
- Notify Human Resources of applicants
- Create staff manual and documents to be completed for orientation
- Notify staff member(s) of eligibility for health and dental, Short-Term Disability, Life Insurance & 403(b) and send forms
- Send notifications to staff and managers regarding yearly evaluations
- Oversight of ordering supplies and other items
- Oversight of telephone system (troubleshooting)
- Oversight of security systems in all locations
- Responsible for ordering new equipment, i.e. computer, telephones
- Review & maintain copier & postage meter contracts
- Maintain the upkeep of all Independence House properties
- Review and maintain landscaping and snow plowing contracts for appropriate properties
- Review and maintain leases for Falmouth, Orleans, Barnstable HSP property and childcare
- Maintain an inventory of all furniture and equipment
- Identify areas/properties in need of maintenance and respond effectively
- Ensure repairs and maintenance are completed
- Review dates for document destruction
- Prepare reports for 403 (b).
- Set up new vendors and request W-9s as required.
- Receive invoices, bills, check requests and expense reports, review for completeness and match with supporting documentation, submit for approval, process and verify accuracy of payments.
- Reconcile accounts payable in the general ledger for possible discrepancies.
- Post payments and bills in general ledger.
- Maintain filing systems for administration and finance.
- Prepare and submit payments to Executive Director for signature.
- Prepare cash disbursements and secure signatures.
- Process and reconcile petty cash disbursements.
- Record accounts receivable payments from funding sources.
- Prepare, record and classify all deposits.
- Handle phone calls related to vendors.
- Assist in preparation and providing documentation for auditors.
- Prepare regular accounting and payroll census reports and other reports as needed.
- Prepare back up documentation/workpapers for billings on a monthly basis, tie out and assemble.
- Complete application information requests, etc. upon receipts.
- Make copies, scans, faxes, etc. for finance department and mail/email billings as needed.
- Maintain security and confidentiality for payroll and accounting systems as well as client confidentiality.
- Assist with month end and annual closing routines.
- Assist Director of Operations & Personnel with compensation and benefits.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Assist Administrative Department as needed
- Contribute to positive team culture
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Work requires the ability to ascend or descend stairs, as well as the agility to move about and position self efficiently to perform physical tasks and address emergency situations
- May require sitting for long periods of time
- Associates degree preferred
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in human resources, accounting and operations
- Proficient in QuickBooks – advanced skills preferred
- Attention to detail
- Knowledge of Microsoft software – proficient in Excel
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to troubleshoot and work through problems
- Computer proficiency
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently.
- Belief in the mission of Independence House
- Ability to maintain confidentiality & privacy of sensitive information
- Assertive communication skills
- Can Do attitude
- Consistent attendance
- Must be able to manage multiple projects/demands
- Must adhere to drama free zone and professional environment
- Manage conflicts appropriately
- Completion of the IH Domestic & Sexual Violence training – agency provided
- Satisfactory Criminal Background Check
- Belief and respect for the mission of Independence House
- Must possess a valid MA driver’s license and proof of vehicle insurance, and have access to a vehicle during work hours
- Must obtain or maintain account with a financial institution for direct deposit of paychecks
- Demonstration of professionalism
To Be Considered: Please send a resume and a cover letter to: Joaniew@indhouse.net
Please write “IH Application- [Your Last Name]” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please.
Independence House, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, or disability and denial of family medical leave and pregnancy leave. This search is being conducted by Independence House, Inc.