INDEPENDENCE HOUSE, INC.
COMPREHENSIVE DIRECT SERVICES FOR ADULTS/TEENS/CHILDREN ADVOCATE
Independence House encourages applicants of diverse races, all abilities, sexual orientation, and genders
Hours: 35 Hours/Week
Salary: To be negotiated, highly competitive
Benefits: Health, Dental, Vacation, Sick, Short-Term Disability, Life & 403(b)
Independence House, Inc. (IH) is a comprehensive domestic & sexual violence community-based agency and shelter program in Barnstable County that focuses on meeting the unique and cultural needs of survivors and their children. We provide safety, food, shelter, advocacy, counseling, and other resources to assist survivors in rebuilding violence-free lives for themselves and their children. IH is committed to the values of inclusivity, equality, anti-oppression, non-hierarchical structure, a non-judgmental and empowerment framework. IH works closely with other agencies in the community, to provide a comprehensive network of resources for survivors of domestic and sexual violence and their children. IH works with these agencies and other community groups to provide education, prevention, and training about domestic & sexual violence toward community transformation and change. Please see our website at www.independencehouse.org for more information.
The Comprehensive Direct Services Advocate is responsible for providing a continuum of in-person direct & digital services to children, tweens/teens & adults who have experienced domestic and sexual violence including teen dating/acquaintance violence.
RESPONSIBILITIES / SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES
- Provide consistent/daily on-line availability for live chat with teen victims.
- Provide scheduled weekly group and individual counseling enhanced by digital outreach to tweens, teens & adults served by Independence House
- Provide secure web-based intake, referral and advocacy for tweens & teens & adults served by Independence House.
- Provide safe and secure web based short-term counseling on our secure counseling platform.
- Provide individual and/or group counseling in person or via digital means.
- Plan, develop, and facilitate groups for children & adults who witness domestic violence.
- Conduct primary prevention, outreach, and education activities to meet needs of selected communities as per Independence House priorities.
- Must work evenings, nights, or weekends when necessary to meet program needs.
- Knowledge of domestic and sexual violence as they relate to adults, children, tweens & teens especially in relation to digitally accessed services
- Strong counseling foundation and understanding of ethical standards
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with adults, tweens & teens, other Independence House staff, the public, and funders
- Knowledge of policy & practice issues regarding domestic and sexual violence
- Conflict resolution skills
- Confidence and ability to work with diverse clients and staff
- Public speaking skills to inform public of services
- Committed to cultural competency and embody the mission and values of Independence House.
- Demonstrated team spirit and commitment to teamwork and an anti-oppression framework.
- Bi-Lingual or Tri-Lingual preferred
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Candidate must have a MSW or equivalent with a minimum of one year experience working with issues of trauma, preferably with teens, domestic violence, and sexual assault clients.
- Knowledge of child development, teen issues and effects of domestic and sexual violence. Candidates with bachelor’s degree and sufficient relevant experience may be considered. Proficiency with all forms of technology including smart phone, video, chat, email, and social media sites.
- Completion of the IH Domestic & Sexual Violence training
- Satisfactory Criminal Background Check
- Must possess a valid MA driver’s license and proof of vehicle insurance, and have access to a vehicle during work hours
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to Becky Hansen at firstname.lastname@example.org