How you can help as a concerned friend, community member, or family member of a victim
- Refer them to Independence House
- Let them know that you are there for them
- Remind them they deserve to be treated well and are entitled to a life without abuse
- Tell them you care for them
When someone asks you for help:
- Listen to what they are saying without giving advice
- Be respectful of the steps they may or may not be ready to take. Some victims may just want to talk. Others may be looking for a way out or a plan for safety. Follow their lead.
- A victim might feel isolated or alone. Remind them the are not alone.
- Let the victim know that abuse is never their fault
- Contact us for more information on how you can help. Independence House: 508-771-6507. 24 hour Hotline: 800-439-6507.
Promoting Safe and Healthy Relationships