Independence House, Inc.
Child Witness to Violence Counselor
The Child Witness to Violence and Teen Counselor is responsible for providing a continuum of services to children and teens who have experienced and/or witnessed domestic violence.
- Provide comprehensive high quality intake and assessment for children and teens who experience and/or witness violence.
- Provide individual counseling to child/teen victims and witnesses at Independence House.
- Provide intake, referral and advocacy for children.
- Develop and maintain relationships with other service providers serving children/teens.
- Plan, develop, and facilitate groups for children/teens who experience or witness domestic violence.
- Complete all necessary paperwork.
- Other duties as appropriate and assigned.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary assessment team as needed.
- Interface with community.
- Comply with contract reporting requirements.
- Maintain a caseload to meet needs of clients
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of domestic and sexual violence in general and specific to children/teens.
- Strong group work and counseling skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with other via oral and written word.
- Strong counseling foundation and understanding of ethical standards.
- Ability to function as part of a team.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with other Independence House Staff, the public, funding sources and children/teens.
- Knowledge of policy issues regarding domestic and sexual violence.
- Conflict resolution and assertiveness skills.
- Knowledge of and proficiency with technology.
- Ability to work without close supervision.
- Ability to transmit and practice values of equality, fairness, respect and ethics with all staff and clients.
- Ability to communicate and interact with the domestic and sexual violence staff.
- Ability to participate in ongoing professional development.
- Ability to work with people different from self
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Candidate must have an MSW, or equivalent with a minimum of one year experience doing trauma work, and/or providing domestic violence and sexual assault advocacy and counseling. Knowledge of child development and effects of domestic and sexual violence. Candidates with Bachelor’s degree in social work and sufficient relevant experience may be considered. Supervision available from an LICSW. Must have a car and valid driver’s license. Ability to work evenings. Ability to lift 20 pounds.
Please send cover letter & resume to:
Director of Operations & Personnel
160 Bassett Lane
Hyannis, MA 02601
Or via email: Joaniew@indhouse.net